You can never start preparing your long term care plan for yourself or a loved one too soon. Knowing your options and what to expect throughout the process can help you make an easy decision in the future.
Long term care includes minimal or full assistance with daily living, such as personal care or nursing care services provided in a community setting. Masonic Villages’ staff offer a wealth knowledge on each step of this important journey. We’ve collected some of our blogs focusing on various topics to assist with your long term care plan.
- Long term care planning starts when you turn 65 and become eligible for Medicare. Masonic Village staff recommend consulting a health insurance broker since there is a lot of information to digest when obtaining coverage. To help you get started, this article includes specific pitfalls to watch out for as you become eligible for coverage: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/medicare-mistakes-that-can-cost-you-big/
- Understanding the levels of care offered at a long term care community and the move-in process, from choosing a community to transitioning to a new residence, can be complex. Staff at Masonic Villages offer their best advice in this article: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/moving-to-long-term-care/
- You may wonder if your loved one’s recent forgetfulness is just that, or if it’s an early sign of dementia. This article can help you understand the differences between the two: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/understanding-the-early-signs-of-dementia/
- As a loved one begins facing challenges with everyday tasks which were once effortless, they may experience feelings of helplessness and loss of control. This article provides ways you can help them cope: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/loss-of-independence/
- Hear from one family member about how finding the right long term care option for his loved one enabled him to prioritize his family, while juggling work and other responsibilities: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/family-first/
- For individuals handling the care of their children and their parents, there can be added challenges. One Masonic Village employee who found herself in this situation offers her advice in this article: https://masonicvillageelizabethtown.org/sandwichgeneration/
- Advance directives establish how you want to be cared for during hospitalizations and end-of-life situations if you become unable to make your own decisions. Learn about the types of advance directives and their meaning in this article: https://masonicvillagehospice.org/blog/types-of-advance-directives/
At any time on your long term care journey, contact Masonic Village at 1-800-422-1207 or click here to request more information.